Monday, August 21, 2006

Appian Way, Laurel Canyon

The most horrible place I ever lived



I had been living in a converted garage beach house in Venice, California and it was taking me almost an hour to drive to work every morning, up to birdland at the top of Doheny off Sunset. I thought my life would be better if I lived in Hollywood Hills and could get to work in five minutes. So I moved to this guest house (east end of house circled above) at 8946 Appian Way, which was once the home of Errol Flynn. Since I was the archeress, I thought it would be good to live where Robin fucking Hood once lived.



But I was wrong. The place had fleas.
The couple who owned the main house fought loudly every night.
My bike got rusty from disuse.
I grew to detest the city lights view, so bright it kept me awake at night.
I had only my bear for comfort.



I did get to work in five, however, coasting down Sunset Plaza in neutral in my white VW bug. The big gray house under construction below me was supposed to have been Robert Downey Jr.'s but I never once saw him down there.





It was a cool looking place overall, higher up than Mulholland drive even, but I just hated it. I prefer to be near water I guess.



As soon as that film job was over, I moved back to New York for awhile. What a relief.

5 comments:

copyranter said...

You needed a beefy sidekick, like Little John, to scare the owners.

Corey said...

You never saw Robert Downey jr. because he was in jail and/or rehab. Just a guess.

Slinky Redfoot said...

so which is better - NY or LA??

ninaberries said...

omg that house was abandoned or under construction when i was growing up and we used to sneak in and have parties there. i wouldn't be surprised if you could trace those fleas to some kind of teenage detrius we left behind. good times...

Anonymous said...

It was a great house when I lived there with a bunch of folks who were on Laugh In.

This was in 1969.

The guest unit you rented, an agent from William Morris had it.

The house had no fleas and you must have been a wimp if you didn't think the view was fantastic.

What did you do in the film business....a "PA"?