Sunday, December 24, 2006

the best christmas

over the years, if i think about the best christmases, i have to say my thoughts wouldn't include the new canaan mansion in-law parties with the egg nog and the "thank you so much for the LL bean tote bag," nor would they include the "i cooked a fabulous seven-course meal for a dozen people" either. i would lean more towards one of these visions from years past:

-making and serving beef stew to homeless people at the soup kitchen set up by the b'nai b'rith synagogue on the upper west side.
-going for a hike in the catalina mountains with my favorite relatives and having a huge picnic on a picnic table at the trail head before coming home to nap the rest of the day.
-performing songs from charlie and the chocolate factory with my friends at a bunch of children's wards and old folks homes (the children's cancer ward at any hospital is a tough place to smile and sing, let me tell you, but i was dressed as a fairy princess (of course) and they all wanted to touch my dress and be magic wanded, so i had to suck it up).
-under a tree on the beach in mexico half sleeping, half listening to the waves, while my mom read her book: the origin of consciousness in the breakdown of the bicameral mind (good god that was embarrassing).

things i would like to have for christmas:

-new rosanne cash CD (cash CD, that's cool)
-a tight "team Rosie" t shirt to wear around mid-town.
-good health for me and all my loved ones

3 comments:

Maulleigh said...

I've celebrated Xmas the same way every year for the last 33 years of my life: get up early with the rents and sis, open stockings and gifts, eat cinnamon rolls and read our new books around the livingroom fire in the afternoon. And I love it so much. I love it so much and am so fearful of it ending in someway. Last night we played Hearts around the diningroom table--my dad and sister getting competitive and my mom and me just enjoying the family time. It was heavenly.

copyranter said...

sorry, I didn't see this until now. I haven't read blogs since before x-mas. the CD and the t-shirt will find their way to your apt.

archeress said...

copy, you're excused from having to buy me any more presents until....well, you have some leeway.