Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Is it love? Or just a dopamine rush.

Few artists have provided more target practice for cupid since the mid-60s than Jim Dine. Above, a crane lowers a 4,500-pound bronze heart, half of Dine's Two Big Black Hearts at the Hirshhorn in 1985.

For someone who has had some miserable Valentines days over the years, I am still obsessed by love, or as the scientists say, that chemical reaction of receptors and neurotransmitters that create the energy and motivation to not only be with someone, but to do things in daily life with that extra focused attention and exhilaration that you have when you are under the spell.

How to make love stay? Tom Robbins had list of tactics in Still Life with the Woodpecker, all involving superstitious potions, cheesecake from Junior's Deli on Flatbush Avenue, and peeing out your bedroom window.

I think love notes are key. Words for me are very seductive. Some of my favorite love notes from the past and present...








Happy Valentine's Day. Love will be there in the morning.

3 comments:

Maulleigh said...

I have many opinions on Valentines Day; I think it's more benign than anything. I'll celebrate it or no.

All my love letters are molding in my parents basement. Over the holiday, I went through them all and trashed most of 'em. These guys don't give a shit about me anymore. Time to let go.

copyranter said...

WHO THE F*CK IS THIS "MARK?"

I'LL RIP HIS FACE OFF AND USE IT AS A NAPKIN!!!!!!!!

archeress said...

i don't know, molly, i don't think i could throw away my love letters from Bruce Castleman...from kindergarten. when i'm 80 in my rocking chair, what fun they will be to read.

copy, calm yourself.